Apr 3, 2011

Weekend's Not Over Yet!

So Cymbeline kind of petered out after a bit, but the first three acts were enough to keep me in love until the very end. And to be honest, I didn't read most of Pericles until after we talked about it. I'm not sure if it was that or whether it was the first two acts that were so very plain, but it was very easy to figure out what was going on in the play. In fact, it was almost deceptively easy. I feel as though maybe, once again, I've missed something.

Anyways, I wanted to throw out an idea for my term paper that I've had rolling around in my head for a while. It's very amusing to me the way many people say that Shakespeare was "high class" and one of the most sophisticated minds of his time. Those people are either very sheltered or have not read WS at all, because as it has been frequently observed in this class, Shakespeare's plays are chock full of innuendos and generally bawdy stuff. And that is precisely the point. I hope to illustrate that in flooding our minds with sexual references and perverse jokes, Shakespeare was subtly connecting us to the realm of the mythological, a realm with which "adults" seek to sever all ties. In doing so, he gently helps us to have a better understanding of our own world.

That was just a thought I had. It's probably just utter crap, but ideally I can shape it into something entertaining and mildly informative. I just have to go finish my readings first.