Apr 29, 2011

Tragedy Again.

I have a lot of catching up to do, I'll admit. It's somewhat overwhelming when I think of all the things that I have wanted to say but haven't had a chance to yet. This has been a hectic semester for me. In fact, I just dropped off my portfolio this afternoon for review (to determine whether I get to continue on into upper-level classes). Hopefully, with only one project remaining not outside of Shakespeare, I'll have a chance to post more of my thoughts in a way that actually makes sense, unlike I have been doing the past few months. This class has really been inspirational for me. I feel like I understand the world more completely now. I'm learning more about just how sad it is, too. I guess I'm kind of a sucker for sad stories. I don't like happily ever after, because I know that it doesn't happen in real life. We cannot remember anything about life if we do not write it down. Words chosen of desire.

I found a poem the other day while proofreading a friend's story and it was so beautiful it almost made me cry. I think it speaks to a lot of Shakespeare, and in just those few lines I think I cam just a little bit closer to understanding the tragic sense of life and I thought it would be a shame not to share it here.

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
O luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.

I don't know if anyone else will see it the way that I do, but it took my breath away. Anyways, on a lighter note, I was watching Aladdin with some friends the other day and realized, for the first time, that the parrot's name was actually significant. Then I found these.



It made me laugh a little bit. I know it's not really that significant, but I always feel clever when I find those little connections. It's like the world is coming together again, like I've found another piece of the puzzle, or seen another ripple in the pond. I'll be trying to write more posts this weekend, but it's been a hectic week for me and I have a project due on Monday that I haven't been able to work on at all because of the craziness, so we'll see how it goes. Definitely going to do a lot of reading. I think I'll close out now with a quote from Sexson in class yesterday.

"Life is not a problem to be solved. It is a mystery to be experienced."