Mar 1, 2011

Jesters Do Oft Prove Prophets

I was really worried about reading King Lear. I tried reading it for fun in high school (who read King Lear for fun, anyways) and found myself horribly, horribly confused. I have to admit that it didn't make any more sense to me this time, even though I did read all the way to the end. I feel as though I missed something vital: one moment King Lear was out in the rain, the next he was insane and two of his daughters were dead. What on earth happened? I'm going to sit down soon (after I get something to eat) and read my commentary. Hopefully that will help me figure out what happened. But I do so love the big towards the start of the play with the bastardization and the "tribe of fops got t'ween sleep and wake." This was another one of my favorite bits.
Love cools, friendship falls off, brothers divide.In cities, mutinies; in countries, discord; in palaces, treason; and the bond cracked 'twixt son and father.
At any rate, I'll edit and add more to the post later but it's lunch time =]